Top 10 most usage social network co-founder and history in the world
YouTube was founded by Chad Hurley, Steve Chen and Jawed Karim, who were all early employees of PayPal. Hurley had studied design at Indiana University of Pennsylvania, and Chen and Karim studied computer science together at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
- Founded : February 14, 2005; 12 years ago
- Launched : February 14, 2005; 12 years ago
- Headquarters : 901 Cherry Avenue, San Bruno, California, United States
- Owner Alphabet Inc.
- CEO : Susan Wojcicki
- Founder(s) : Steve Chen, Chad Hurley and Jawed Karim
WhatsApp, was incorporated in 2009 by Brian Acton and Jan Koum, both former employees of Yahoo! After Koum and Acton left Yahoo! in September 2007, the duo traveled to South America as a break from work.
- Founded: February 24, 2009; 8 years ago
- Headquarters: Mountain View, California, United States
- CEO: Jan Koum
- Founder(s): Jan Koum and Brian Acton
Viber Media was founded in Tel Aviv, Israel in 2010 by Talmon Marco and Igor Magazinnik, who are friends from the Israel Defense Forces where they were chief information officers. Marco and Magazinnik are also co-founders of the P2P media and file-sharing client iMesh.
- Developer(s): Rakuten Viber (part of Rakuten Inc.)
- Initial release: December 2, 2010; 7 years ago
- Founded: Talmon Marco
- It is currently based in Luxembourg
- Israel country sold to Rakuten Luxembourg country
Line began as a disaster response. In March 2011, the Tōhoku earthquake damaged Japan’s telecommunications infrastructure nationwide, obliging employees at NHN Japan, a unit of South Korea’s NHN Corporation, to rely on Internet-based resources to communicate. The company’s engineers developed Line to facilitate this, and the company released their app for public use in June. Line Corporation, located in Tokyo, is a Japanese subsidiary of the South Korean internet search giant Naver Corporation. The company’s business is mainly associated with the development of mobile applications and Internet services. Line Corporation was founded on September 4, 2000, as Hangame Japan Corporation, a South Korean game company owned by Naver. On August 24, 2003, the company was renamed as NHN Japan Corporation. From April 1, 2013, the company is traded as Line Corporation
- Developer(s) : Line Corporation
- Initial release : March 2011; 6 years ago
- Founded : Tokyo, Japan (September 4, 2000)
- Founder : Naver Corporation
- Headquarters : Tokyo, Japan
- Key people : Takeshi Idezawa, CEO
- Parent Naver Corporation (80.3%)
Google began in January 1996 as a research project by Larry Page and Sergey Brin when they were both PhD students at Stanford University in Stanford, California.
While conventional search engines ranked results by counting how many times the search terms appeared on the page, the two theorized about a better system that analyzed the relationships among websites. They called this new technology PageRank; it determined a website’s relevance by the number of pages, and the importance of those pages that linked back to the original site.
- Founded: September 4, 1998; 19 years ago in Menlo Park, California, U.S.
- Founders : Larry Page and Sergey Brin
- Headquarters : Googleplex, Mountain View, California, U.S.
- Key people : Sundar Pichai (CEO) and Ruth Porat (CFO)
- Parent Alphabet Inc. (2015–present)
2003–2006: Thefacebook, Thiel investment, and name change Zuckerberg wrote a program called “Facemash” in 2003 while attending Harvard University as a sophomore (second year student). According to The Harvard Crimson, the site was comparable to Hot or Not and used “photos compiled from the online facebooks of nine Houses, placing two next to each other at a time and asking users to choose the “hotter” person”.Facemash attracted 450 visitors and 22,000 photo-views in its first four hours online. The Facemash site was quickly forwarded to several campus group list-servers, but was shut down a few days later by the Harvard administration.
- Founded: February 4, 2004; 13 years ago
- Headquarters: Menlo Park, California, U.S.
- Key people Mark Zuckerberg (Chairman and CEO) and Sheryl Sandberg (COO)
a. Mark Zuckerberg
b. Eduardo Saverin
c. Andrew McCollum
d. Dustin Moskovitz
e. Chris Hughes
Instagram began development in San Francisco, when Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger chose to focus their multi-featured HTML5 check-in project, Burbn, on mobile photography. As Krieger reasoned, Burbn became too similar to Foursquare, and both realized that it had gone too far. Burbn was then pivoted to become more focused on photo-sharing. The word Instagram is a portmanteau of instant camera and telegram.
On March 5, 2010, Systrom closed a $500,000 seed funding round with Baseline Ventures and Andreessen Horowitz while working on Burbn. Josh Riedel joined the company in October as Community Manager, Shayne Sweeney joined in November as an engineer, and Jessica Zollman joined as a Community Evangelist in August 2011.
Kevin Systrom posted the first photo to Instagram on July 16, 2010.The photo shows a dog in Mexico and Systrom’s girlfriend’s foot; the photo has been enhanced using Instagram’s X-PRO2 filter.
On October 6, 2010, the Instagram iOS app was officially released through the App Store.
- Original author(s) Kevin Systrom, Mike Krieger (Burbn, Inc.)
- Developer(s) Facebook
- Initial release October 6, 2010; 7 years ago
- iOS 25.0 / December 4, 2017; 17 days ago
- Android 126.96.36.199.135 / November 28, 2017; 23 days ago
- Available in 33 languages
Telegram (messaging service)
Telegram was launched in 2013 by the brothers Nikolai and Pavel Durov, who had previously founded the Russian social network VK, but had to leave the company after it was taken over by the Mail.ru Group. Nikolai Durov created the MTProto protocol that is the basis for the messenger, while Pavel provided financial support and infrastructure through his Digital Fortress fund with business partner Axel Neff, a third founder of Telegram.
Telegram is registered as both an English LLP and an American LLC. It does not disclose where it rents offices or which legal entities it uses to rent them, citing the need to “shelter the team from unnecessary influence” and protect users from governmental data requests. Pavel Durov has said that the service was headquartered in Berlin, Germany, in 2015 and early 2015, but moved to different jurisdictions after failing to obtain residence permits for everyone on the team. Durov left Russia and is said to be moving from country to country with a small group of computer programmers. According to press reports, Telegram had employees in St. Petersburg. The Telegram team is currently based in Dubai.
- Developer(s) Telegram Messenger
- Initial release August 2013; 4 years ago Stable release(s) [±]
- License GNU GPLv2 or GPLv3 (clients), proprietary (server)
Creation and initial reaction
Twitter’s origins lie in a “daylong brainstorming session” held by board members of the podcasting company Odeo. Jack Dorsey, then an undergraduate student at New York University, introduced the idea of an individual using an SMS service to communicate with a small group. The original project code name for the service was twttr, an idea that Williams later ascribed to Noah Glass, inspired by Flickr and the five-character length of American SMS short codes. The decision was also partly due to the fact that the domain twitter.com was already in use, and it was six months after the launch of twttr that the crew purchased the domain and changed the name of the service to Twitter. The developers initially considered “10958” as a short code, but later changed it to “40404” for “ease of use and memorability”. Work on the project started on March 21, 2006, when Dorsey published the first Twitter message at 9:50 p.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST): “just setting up my twttr”. Dorsey has explained the origin of the “Twitter” title:
…we came across the word ‘twitter’, and it was just perfect. The definition was ‘a short burst of inconsequential information,’ and ‘chirps from birds’. And that’s exactly what the product was.
- Type of site News and social networking service
- Available in: Multilingual
- Founded: March 21, 2006; 11 years ago
- Headquarters: San Francisco, California, U.S.
- Founder(s) Jack Dorsey
a. Noah Glass
b. Biz Stone
c. Evan Williams
- Key people
a. Omid Kordestani (Executive Chairman)
b. Jack Dorsey (CEO)
- Launched July 15, 2006